- Leadsom might heed Ben Johnson's observation: Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. To Oscar Wilde it was the virtue of the vicious.The stagedoor scribbler 12 hours ago
- RT @DanielaSieff: Anybody who gets a chance to see @barbjungr .... Go! twitter.com/BarbJungrSings…The stagedoor scribbler 19 hours ago
- RT @MichaelRosenYes: Angela Leadsom says 'be more patriotic'. Yeah, when a politician tells you to look up at the flag, it's so they can pi…The stagedoor scribbler 19 hours ago
- What a ghastly woman Leadsom is! twitter.com/johnsimpsonnew…The stagedoor scribbler 19 hours ago
- RT @paul_d_stevens: Well spotted ;-) https://t.co/xGVIp6aYLCThe stagedoor scribbler 19 hours ago
When the going gets tough the tough start blogging
Tag Archives: Word War II
November 4, 2012Posted by on
Don’t miss esteemed broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby’s groundbreaking BBC-2 documentary exploring the true significance of the World War II British victory at the Battle of El Alamein.
Called Churchill’s Desert War: The Road to El Alamein, it will be shown at 9.00pm tomorrow night (Monday November 5) and gives fascinating account of this pivotal operation that in 1942 marked a crucial point in the battle against the Nazis.
Dimbleby, who has also just published a book on the subject, Destiny in the Desert: The Story Behind El Alamein, examines the human cost of this battle fought in appallingly inhospitable conditions, the military strategy behind it and how it finally brought the calendar of war to a position that in Churchill’s famous words was, ‘the end of the beginning’.