- RT @Northern_Soul_: Johnny Marr and Maxine Peake: ‘You can’t avoid homelessness in Manchester. It touched us both’ theguardian.com/culture/2017/d…The stagedoor scribbler 10 hours ago
- RT @IantheRedScot: The Cerne Abbas Giant Eric Ravilious 1939 Ravilious advent calendar for 12th December @IMcMillan https://t.co/NpaMIBeSrLThe stagedoor scribbler 10 hours ago
- RT @beat_road: fab interview with June Leaf // artist, and wife of Robert Frank: hyperallergic.com/293089/beer-wi…The stagedoor scribbler 18 hours ago
- RT @remain_central: Why Michael Heseltine is still raging against Brexit. “The single best thing to advance the industrial and commercial…The stagedoor scribbler 18 hours ago
- RT @1michaelgray1: #neatanniversaries twitter.com/RockWalkLondon…The stagedoor scribbler 1 day ago
When the going gets tough the tough start blogging
Tag Archives: Jack and Vera
November 27, 2012Posted by on
The stars of Coronation Street have been paying a fitting farewell to their old colleague Bill Tarmey, who played Jack Duckworth, in the long-running soap for more than 30 years.
Tarmey, 71, who died earlier this month at his holiday home in Tenerife made his name as the endlessly hen-pecked husband of Weatherfield battleaxe Vera Duckworth, played by Liz Dawn.
Dawn joined famous Corrie actors past and present including William Roache, Julie Goodyear, Kevin kennedy and Nigel Pivaro for the service at the Albion United Reformed Church in Ashton-under-Lyne.
Tarmey, who worked as a nightclub singer before joining the Coronation Street cast in 1979, made the character of pigeon-fancying, work-shy chancer Jack Duckworth a household name. Always on the run from Vera but utterly devoted to her, he was a mainstay of the programme, an iconic figure with his hangdog air and broken spectacles held together with an old plaster.